[Part 5 in a Series of 5 About Building Your Agency and Virtual Team]
As we close this section on starting your online service agency, we should really discuss what kind of experience you need. If you are considering starting an agency it is important that you understand the experience you should have in order to start your online service agency.
Anyone can start an online service agency with a few skills, but not everyone will be successful in running their agency. You do not need a specific degree, however, being educated in the specific type (or niche) of service you will offer is imperative. The only exception would be if you are planning to bring on team members who are experts in the service offering(s) area and you trust them to perform this not only well but in an excellent way. Let’s discuss a few basics.
My First Agency
When I began my first agency I had no idea what I was doing. I had some managerial experience, although not much if I am completely honest. I had bookkeeping experience and administrative experience and tons of life experience. As I began to get busier and needed help I had to rely on myself and figure out what worked best for me. I also had to quickly come up with some systems that would work for me.
Infographic: Experience Needed to Start Agency
Experience Needed To Start An Agency
- You Are A Current Online Service Provider – if you are already providing online services to clients, you have the experience needed.
- Skills – do you have the skills for the specific service agency you would like to build?
- Bandwidth – do you have the bandwidth to take on more work (initially) in order to train a team and get that team member up and running?
- Know How To Prioritize Task – a very important component to starting your agency. You must know how to be productive and prioritize your tasks.
- Ability To Manage Others – is often not considered or is overlooked. Not everyone is cut out to manage others but if you are a natural leader, have skills in leadership, and have managed others successfully in the past, you will do well in your agency.
- Project Management – the ability to manage your projects successfully is no small thing. Using project management tools and keeping deadlines is key in running your agency. Using these tools will empower you to stay on top of your goals and your client’s work, as well as, help your team to do the same.
- Delegate – is a hugely important factor in building your agency. You have to be comfortable with delegating tasks to team members. Not only delegating a task to a team member but also delegating the right tasks to the right team members. If you do not want high turnover rates you should be aware of your team members’ likes and dislikes. This applies especially when it comes to the tasks you delegate so that you assign the right tasks to the best person.
According to Nick Chernets of Entrepreneur Magazine
“If you’re ready to join the action, look at these questions below to see if the digital marketing industry is right for you.
- Can you identify a gap in the industry that you know you can fill?
- Can you find a niche and produce results?
- Can you build a team and handle the responsibility of leading?
- Are you ready for the grind of starting your own business?
- Do you have a vision for your agency?”
Nick goes on to say if you answer “yes” to the majority of questions you may be ready to start your own agency.
We have spent the entire month going over many of these same things. I hope you have found value in reading these articles.
If you are ready to start your online service agency just start slow, take it one step at a time, and bring on one team member at a time. Learn to delegate and manage the business with a team member before bringing on more. And, of course, if you need more help, I’m here for you. Just click the button below to schedule a quick consultation (you would be surprised at what I can do in a short amount of time).
Thanks again for reading.
Book your FREE 1-on-1 20-Minute Mini-Session Today.