You may be looking for a business coach and trying to decide which one is right for you. In order to find the right coach, you should ask them a number of questions. In this article, I will go over questions to ask before hiring a business coach.
What Is A Business Coach
Do you know what a coach can do to help you? In very general terms, a business coach can help you by providing encouragement, and accountability. Yet they provide so much more. A business coach will also help you move forward in your business and with your business goals. They should also have a general knowledge of business and what business goals you should have moving forward.
“A coach is someone who provides guidance to a client on their goals and helps them reach their full potential.”-Pushfar.com
Meeting Your Potential Coach
Before hiring a business coach you should meet 1-on-1 in person or via Zoom. You will want to connect and feel comfortable with the coach. The other thing you should do is ask the business coach a few questions.
What A Coach Is Not
Your business coach is not your counselor, psychiatrist, or mother. Yes, I say, “Hand-holding is included” but it does not mean I’m going to do it for you. Your coach will give you tools, information, and knowledge to help you stay on your business journey. They will guide you to continue to move forward however, they should not do it for you. They should empower you to do it.
Are You Ready
You should also be sure you feel comfortable and safe with the coach. This is not always recognizable but most coaches offer a free session ranging between 20 to 60 minutes in length.
Deciding if you are ready to hire a coach is a big decision. I believe all entrepreneurs should hire a business coach if they wish to keep moving forward. The coach you hire can also depend on where you are with your business. The coach should understand where you are and how to take you to the next level.
Signs you are ready to hire a coach
-Are you starting your business?
-Do you have a business and are making money?
-Do you want to grow your busiess but know you need help outside of yourself?
-Do you feel you keep hitting a wall in attracting clients?
-You know you are hitting a wall in revenue (you have gained but now are flatlined in growth)?
-You have trouble making your goals?”-Fearless Business Boss
Question To Ask
- How long have you been coaching? It is wise to choose a coach who has been doing it for a few years and has the experience you can benefit from in the industry you work in as well.
“Try to find out what keeps them current and relevant in today’s economy. A great follow-up question is, “What informs your coaching?”. Is it consulting they do when they’re not coaching? Is it experience as a corporate leader? You’re trying to see if they have the expertise you can benefit from AND if they have a means of staying current and relevant if they are only doing coaching.”-Jennifer Eggers
- Who do you usually coach (industry or ideal audience)? Discerning the industry they usually coach is important. If you are a Freelancer for instance and the coach is used to helping brick-and-mortar clients they may be as helpful to you.
- Ask them about their values or mission statement. A coach who can define their values and/or mission statement knows who they are. You also want someone who is honest, has integrity, and puts clients first.
- What programs or session types do they offer? Ask about the type of programs or sessions they offer and the pricing, of course.
- Review their client testimonials online (website and Google). Take a look at their testimonials on the website, but also remember to do a search on Google for reviews of the business name.
- How do they communicate (is it understandable and relatable)? When they communicate with you is it understandable? Do they communicate in a real and genuine way? Are they relatable to you and what you do in your business?
These are six important questions to ask a potential business coach but you can add many others
So, how can you know if you are ready to hire a business coach? There are a few indicators that can help.
So are you ready for a business coach? I would be happy to help you. Set up a mini-session so I can answer your questions.