I don’t know about you but I can get into sort of a funk at times. Where I may feel a little down, not depressed, but also just ‘ugh’ – if you know what I mean? If you ever have times like this I’m sure you will understand my topic today. I want to give you strategies to help you get out of your funk mindset*.
What Causes a Funk
So, what causes us to feel these mindset funks? Why do we feel good one day and the next just feel really unmotivated?
According to one magazine, it can be from:
“Sometimes bad moods and funks can happen when we feel listless, out of control, or overly emotional.”Science of People
It can also be due to interactions with other people that bring us down. I know not having that control or feeling like I did not handle a situation well can put me into a funk. How does interacting with others affect your mindset?
Determining If You Are In A Funk
For the purposes of this article, I am defining a ‘mindset funk’ as a non-invasive mental attitude but not depression. If you feel your mental state is darker please reach out to a counselor for help. This should not be ignored. A funk is something that does not last long (no longer than a couple of days) and can be relieved.
Ways To Overcome Your Funk Mindset
I want to share some things that work for me and help me when I have that mindset funk. Everyone is different but some of these should help you.
- Listening to Praise (good) Music – I love listening to Christian praise music. It can really help to reset my mind and put the focus in the right place.
- Reading – productive books, ebooks, and articles has helped me. They challenge us and encourage us to keep going to reach our goals.
- Talking with Someone Else – at times a friend or colleague can help you vent. It can also help to get those negative feelings out so you can focus on the positives. Talk with someone who is an encourager. Someone who will point out the great characteristics you have and will encourage you about your business.
- Prayer or Meditation – you know me and that means you know my faith. Therefore, you know that I believe prayer works. Prayer connects me with God and enables me to vent and ask for help. It also gives me answers and truly gives me peace.
- Limit Your Social Media Time – this is hard for most of us especially if you own a business. I limit my time to business-only tasks most of the time. This is especially true when I’m in a funk. I do not look at personal items when I am in a mindset funk. Give yourself a few days without social media. Allow yourself at least 3 to 5 days without viewing social media.
- Journaling – writing about your feelings is a big help. It gets you out of your own head and is a good way to help clear your mind. It is also good to help you better understand what you are feeling when it seems vague.
- Braindump – doing a braindump is another good way to help you get out of your mindset funk. It can get rid of the random thoughts floating around in your mind. It will help you gain clarity on a variety of things including decisions you need to make.
- Belong to a Group – belonging to a group of like-minded people is wonderful. You want one where you can vent, share your wins, and gain encouragement.
If you need a group to belong to feel free to look at the group on the banner below. The one meets once a month and we have a Facebook Group in between. Just click the banner below and it will take you to the signup page. We would love for you to join us!
Of course, these are not the only ways to overcome that mindset funk. These are the top ones that help me move from funk to spunk!
What To Know
There are many reasons why we can fall into these mindset funks. If you establish a good routine to overcome when the mindset funk sets in you will be ahead of most. Writing these down will help you in the future when you are not feeling like doing anything. I sometimes need to get out of my own mind. Forcing myself to do the things that I need to do whether I want to or not.
Share some of the ways you use to get out of your funk mindset. Share this article with your social media please and help give us a little love!
To Your Continued Success!
*Disclaimer: As I discuss mindset it is from a personal perspective and is not meant to be medical, or counseling, nor is it meant to be a “one fits all” type of advice or information.
What Is Fearless Business Boss?
Fearless Business Boss is a business & marketing coaching company with Tammy Durden. Tammy offers: